What's new
SWG Beyond

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice for a new (old) trader?

Commissar

Hey all! I played the game back in live from launch and through NGE and then dabbled with the emus back in 2017. I have literally forgotten about everything...

Is there a patient sould who can break down how NGE traders work (preferably like I'm 5 :p)? Do you pick a certain spec at a certain point? Also is there enough demand out there that its worth playing a trader beyond just a desire to craft?

I really enjoy the craft game but for instance an architect would be a bit pointless if no one needs buildings ever for instance.

Any advice or info is appreciated!

foxd

NGE crafting is reasonably simple yet has a very involved process to get from the start, to crafting game or server capped items.
  • There are four trader choices Domestics, Munitions, Engineer & Structures.
  • Most players level to 90 as a Structures, then respect to the desired profession.
  • Expertise Points (U) – Use your expertise point to specialize in the field you wish to craft. You may wish to put some points in the Business, Factory, Harvesting and/or Reverse Engineering areas as well.
  • Gather Resources – Hand sampling or with a harvester. There are different levels of harvesters, they require 1 to 3 available housing slots to place. The higher the Base Extraction Rate (BER) the faster the harvester will gather.
  • Resource quality matters on most items, assuming you wish to make the best possible items. Resources have several stats or traits (Overall Quality, Shock Resistance, etc.).
  • Crafting Stations and Crafting Tools – You will want to get capped stations (45) and tools (15), again assuming you wish to make the best possible items.
  • Crafting Suit/Exotics – You will want to have a crafting suit made. I believe most people use 35 luck on all suit pieces, other than the chest, shirt, and weapon. These three items can use exotic attachments and should be specific to your chosen field of expertise.
  • Most finished items (weapons, houses, droids, etc.) require components or subcomponents to craft. These components or subcomponents will need specific resource stats/traits to get the best possible crafting result.
  • Many items during the crafting phase will give the option to experiment. You will want to use Bespin Port before any experimentation roll to ensure the best possible chance for success.
  • At the end of the crafting phase, you may be given a choice between crafting the item or making a factory schematic. Factor schematics can be placed into player factories and used to craft large runs of components and subcomponents (Factory Crates).
  • Once you have your expertise set, the resources gathered, crafting stations and tools, a crafting suit, the components and /or subcomponents crafted you are now ready to make a final craft.
This is a very brief and simple explanation; I am sure I have forgotten something. Each trader class is unique, and I have not personally experienced them all.

There are more in depth guides/information on the web:
https://swg.fandom.com/wiki/Crafting