What's new
SWG Beyond

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canceled - Slicing and Decay Poll

How do you feel about 10% Item Decay Rate?

• 10% Item Decay Rate - Too High

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • 10% Item Decay Rate - Too Low

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10% Item Decay Rate - Just Right

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CSRDaryn

Staff
Staff member
Greetings Beyonders!

As we begin to delve into the development portion of the Slicing Update, we are looking for some community input/opinions on an acceptable item decay rate.
What the possible item slices are going to be, will be determined by the community, in a future poll.

Let’s start off with a brief description of how slicing will work, followed by an example of the decay system.

Slicing Update Info:
  • Players will be able to slice weapons, armor, and clothing. This is completely optional!
  • Item decay will ONLY occur on a player death.
  • Decay will ONLY occur if the item is sliced. Non-sliced items will NOT decay.
  • Equipped items ONLY will decay. Sliced items in your inventory, but unequipped, will NOT decay.
Decay Example at 10%:
  • Item condition 100000/100000 (Current/Max)
  • Per death, the condition will be lowered by 10% (10,000), calculated from original max condition.
  • Resulting in an item condition of 90000/100000
  • In this example, after 10 deaths, the item condition would be 0/100000, and in need of repair.
  • Once an item is repaired it will return to its original condition, minus 10%.
  • In this example, the repaired item condition would be: 90000/90000
  • This process continues until the item eventually reaches a condition of 0/10000 and can no longer be repaired.
Note: This process will take a total of 55 player deaths to go from original condition to broken and unrepairable.

Please cast your vote in the attached poll and also feel free to share any comments or concerns you may have.

Thank you for your participation!

Last edited:

ATU

Do you envisage the weapons other stats decaying as the condition decays, such that a player may chose to repair sooner than it gets to 0 condition to restore the min / max / elemental / 35s installed / armor stats / exotics damage, and restore the min / max / elemental / 35s installed / armor stats / exotics installed once the weapon/armor/clothing is restored?

What designates a death, a clone death where you clone at a cloner but not a self rez or a medic rez, or any death including after a rez? This might designate of 10% is too much, too low or about right. example someone dies 10 times in a BF their armor clothing and weapon is then useless. unless they take in repair tools (or can only a trader repair them?)

I am sure there is more questions but those are the initial ones I have based upon the survey.

CSRDaryn

Staff
Staff member
Do you envisage the weapons other stats decaying as the condition decays, such that a player may chose to repair sooner than it gets to 0 condition to restore the min / max / elemental / 35s installed / armor stats / exotics damage, and restore the min / max / elemental / 35s installed / armor stats / exotics installed once the weapon/armor/clothing is restored?

What designates a death, a clone death where you clone at a cloner but not a self rez or a medic rez, or any death including after a rez? This might designate of 10% is too much, too low or about right. example someone dies 10 times in a BF their armor clothing and weapon is then useless. unless they take in repair tools (or can only a trader repair them?)

I am sure there is more questions but those are the initial ones I have based upon the survey.
Only the item condition will decay, none of the item stats will decay. The weapon, armor or clothing will remain fully functional until it becomes disabled or eventually broken.

At this point, we are defining a death as any death. Decay will occur at the time of the death, regardless if the player clones or is rez'd.

Smilelikejoker

Can you guys clarify if using the escape pod will count? It's quite a useful tactic for a pilot. The game even gives you the option to use it, and you should, when you have significant damage. If it does, it breaks an aspect of space.

Last edited:

Erotica

I don't see any positives of decay. not many did on live either and I was one of them.

So unless Anti decay kits are a thing and buyable with credits I do not see this working too great. it took way more deaths than this when it was live to break gear. you're basically saying hey look let's enable hardcore mode for SWG if you wanna slice your gear. One of the reasons this is dumb is because prior to mentioning this update everyone who crafted gear like armor/PSG never focused on quality as it was useless... that means everyone who wants to slice would need to remake mando/RIS or any armor they bought which means 35s need to be rebought which btw no one here really makes 35s or pups anymore because staff refuses to allow RE to speed up the process or remove the cap allowing for higher pups.

Like tbh i would rather see you guys expand on what SOE Removed like weapon mods that never made it in which were like the health mods for armor which would be a better update than this as it could be added into world loot tables among the galaxy.

this also is dumb and retarded on an old server. this would work if it was a new server/wiped. you guys have already split the community in the past via the credit Nerf and the Nerf to legendary/Heroics with multiple toons along with other changes.

Making and bringing old systems back that was a chore is a great way to push the rest over to other servers.

I honestly think slicing does not need decay but the effect should decay.

what i mean by the effect decaying. the slice has like 9k uses each time you fire a weapon/ability/auto attack the weapon lost 1 use. every time you took damage you lost 1 use.

Games already a chore enough tbh.

The only reason slicing worked on live was because we as players were able to RMT to soe to buy anti-decay kits. no not kidding we were able to open a new account or multiple trials then wait the 90 days and sub them to get 10+ anti decay kits to either sell to players or use. this isn't an option here clearly. so unless they end up going on a vendor for 10mil credits as a credit sink. cause as it stands is in the loot table would be a disaster and I can see a lot of players completely never returning here..

the way it stands is you either slice your gear or get trashed on in the game giving more stats/bonuses you are forced eventually to use it. and I just don't see decay being healthy for this server...if beyond had more than 500+ players active like Legends yeah that's a positive. but for a community now less than 50? and don't say it's not less than 50 because it's easy to count players daily hell not even more than 30+ show up to world bosses anymore.

TLDR there is not a population for a decay system you'd be really dumb to add one that's forced to gain combat buffs. just like the FRS System to have support roles for Jedi where there is not even a want for an FRS or a need but there is for giving Jedi more roles than glorified meat sponge.

Drakkun

I have to hard pass on decay. If we had the armorsmiths capable of keeping up with demand and or a kit to fully repair, maybe, however at present we really dont. If anything, I would not mind seeing slicing added in game but leave out the decay. Make the buffs temporary and timer based like a pup or something, the slicing material made for smuggies to cobble together and sell on the regular. Decay in and of itself is a stress point no one liked nor wanted. Even the armorsmiths on live rallied against it, as there was no real way to stave it off.

So I'd go the route of temporary buffs over decay, or nothing at all. Temporary gives opportunity for smuggies slicing to actually amp up things even if just for a few hours, without any drastic impact down the road that we really cannot afford.

CSRDaryn

Staff
Staff member
I have to hard pass on decay. If we had the armorsmiths capable of keeping up with demand and or a kit to fully repair, maybe, however at present we really dont. If anything, I would not mind seeing slicing added in game but leave out the decay. Make the buffs temporary and timer based like a pup or something, the slicing material made for smuggies to cobble together and sell on the regular. Decay in and of itself is a stress point no one liked nor wanted. Even the armorsmiths on live rallied against it, as there was no real way to stave it off.

So I'd go the route of temporary buffs over decay, or nothing at all. Temporary gives opportunity for smuggies slicing to actually amp up things even if just for a few hours, without any drastic impact down the road that we really cannot afford.
Thank you for the constructive feedback!

Vanira

Maybe like others have said the stats themselves decay instead of the item, once the buff to that item fully decays it has a long-ish time before that item can be sliced again or something.

Or like Drakkun said, it's like a pup or temporary buff to the weapon that Smugs can apply to group members before PvP or instances. The stats, stat amount, and duration would depend on the quality of slicing materials and equipment used.

• Equipped items ONLY will decay. Sliced items in your inventory, but unequipped, will NOT decay.
Also, what would stop someone from quickly swapping to an unsliced weapon if a fight starts to go bad and they expect to die? What good is the decay if it can be easily avoided?

Status
Not open for further replies.