What's new
SWG Beyond

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yek's Basic LSJ Tank Guide

Yekzunno

This Guide is based off of a quick crash course I gave on Discord for Jedi(Mostly LSJ), on their build and how to successfully tank for Server Events such as World Bosses , Legendary instances and Hardmode Instances. This is strictly meant to cover PvE (Player vs Enemy) content. As PvP (Player vs Player) content will be very situational and most of the time need adjusting. This is a Build that I have tested across several servers and have refined to be the most efficient and easiest to replicate. With all builds there are preferred playstyles, so use this how you best play. But I will give the best explanation I can here on why I chose this build over others. So lets hop into it.

Expertise:
For LSJ you will want to take the entire LSJ Tree, everything within that path is worth having. There isn't much need to explain, because it's all pretty straight forward. The General Tree however you can mess with if you like. Personally I always recommend the tree shown below. taking all the defenses just gives you the best chance of survival. So starting out new to tanking I would recommend that. Force Cloak for me personally I use rarely, but when I do use it, I'm glad I had it. So, I will always incorporate it into my build somehow. If you decide you don't need the extra defenses. You can drop some of those for the Jedi sweep/Strike damage, instead of the Glancing blow. Or if you don't want that. Feel free to try out the extended Force run(This is what I use) Personally, I find it extremely useful having the extra speed and duration. It helps with running ahead and grabbing agro on mobs. Also, helps with Keeping snare/root effects off you, as the force run breaks those.

1713820316273.png1713820325326.png

Exotics/35's/Pups/Etc.:
When it comes to what stats to use. There are several different combinations. Again, all of these are depending on what type of LSJ you are going to be running. The Basic Stats are for your core tank build. It is probably your best options when it comes to tanking. But, if you feel the need/want to change it up, feel free to. The main two 35's I would always take are Agility and Strength. Reason being Agility is your best defensive 35 stat. Some builds actually incorporate this stat in their exotics. But for now we will leave that be. Agility increases Dodge by 1%/100pts, Parry 0.5%/100pts and Evasion 1%/100pts. Parry is the main stat as a Jedi as it is one of the easiest classes to stack with and in combination with Saber block/reflect it can boost your Parry to godlike numbers.(fully buffed 70%-80%) Essentially untouchable by single target attacks. Strength is the other key Stat as a LSJ. The reason for that is Strength is Melee Damage, chance to hit, and block/block value. Stacking your strength high defeats the need to stack block/block value as stacking strength will naturally increase those for you. So the last 35 stat you can mess with is Constitution, On this server especially, it is easy to stack con elsewhere. So, swapping Constitution is a very viable thing to do. usually I swap it for Luck, as Luck gives a little bit of everything. Or you can dive all the way into Parry stacking and go for Precision as that has the same ratio for Parry that Agility does, 1%/100pts.

Going over Exotics, there are a couple different routes you can take. The first being your basic tank exotics, which are Parry Rating/Glancing Blow/Crit Hit Reduction. Parry, because this is what this build is based around. **Parry negates all damage from single target attacks. This is where this Build starts to outperform other Jedi builds. The idea is that every mob has a single target attack. So, the idea is that if you can completely negate all the damage coming in from those attacks then the damage you take from AoE(Area of Effect) attacks is easy to heal off by yourself and your medic(s). And because we are stacking parry, the single target attack defense. We go with Glancing blow and Crit Hit Reduction. Both of these stats have to be used together(just a little knowledge to have for other classes you may build). Reason being that Glancing blow will not work against a Crit. So you need to boost your Crit Hit defense the best you can. But the reason behind Glancing blow is, it glances 60% of the damage you would have taken from the attack. And it works on all attacks single target and AoE. So, the idea is, the attacks you don't Parry due to RNG(random number generator) or they are AoE will get glanced and you will only take 60% of the damage. And all of this isn't even taking into account your other defenses that will naturally get stacked by other foods/items/buffs/etc. So, after everything gets rolled the amount of damage you end up negating over a fight is superior to most other builds. The second Exotics you can run are Jedi Strike Damage/Lightsaber Damage*/Crit Chance. If you run these, I recommend you also run Luck instead of Con for your 35's as it pairs better for the build. The reason you would run these over tank exotics is mostly because you are comfortable enough that you no longer need the tank exotics so taking the extra damage will help kill boss's faster, but also help you build a little bit extra hate. (not much but sometimes it helps when there are high single target damage classes in your group). It also, is just nice for solo content since LSJ's already take forever to kill things. it'll just help speed that slow process up a bit.

Going over Power Ups, Currently for Tanking I use Armor/Clothing/Weapon Parry Rating Power ups. And Depending on some fights that have a lot of AoE. I will swap to Glancing Blow Power Ups to help with that defense. Getting Parry up towards 40% is what I notice to be a Threshold. Where certain mobs when you use saber block in combination with this amount of Parry. Will literally just never land a Single target attack on you. It's one of the best feelings as a Jedi. But, If you are in situations where you don't need the extra survivability. Don't be afraid to throw on some Jedi Strike Damage Power Ups or Lightsaber Damage* Power Ups.
*Lightsaber Damage stats are unique to what handed lightsaber you are using. Three different types of lightsaber damage are One-handed, Two-handed and Polearm. Be sure you are using the correct one based on what handed lightsaber you are using.

Foods and Extra Buffs
I recommend Breath of Heaven. As it gives 200+ Constitution and 3% dodge. Dodge also works exactly like Parry and with this build it gets up to around 30%+ which is high enough that usually you either parry or dodge the attacks. Flameout is also a solid choice as it gives 200+ Agility and Strike Through. The strike through is nice because it just helps you deal that little bit extra damage. but the Agility is especially nice since it equate to about 2% dodge and evasion and 1% parry. From the Eisley Cantina you can get a set of 4 Foods/Drinks. There is a Chart floating around the discord server I believe that shows which Eisley Cantina foods/drinks you can pair. Just ask around someone will have it. But, I recommend Malosaur Mushrooms, Carbonite Cakes, tauntaun wantons, muhtar money shot. these cover pretty much everything you need out of what you can get from the vendor. Some other notable buffs are Familiar choices. If you can get your hands on an Undead Familiar. I recommend that, as it gives 1% parry and 40 Strength/Agility. Very good for the Core Build. If you Don't have this the Droideka Familiar Hawk Bat Familiar are solid choices as well. Droideka being a 1% glancing blow familiar and the hawk bat is just a basic stats familiar that's fairly good.

Basic Stats/Buffs
35s: Con/Agi/Str
Exotics: Parry/Glancing Blow/CHR
Pups: Parry Pups or Glancing Blow
Food: Breath of Heaven
Eisley Food: Malosaur Mushrooms, Carbonite Cakes, tauntaun wantons, muhtar money shot
Familiar: Undead Familiar, Droideka Familiar, Hawk Bat Familiar
Jewelry: Guardian Set (7 piece gives you Guardian Sweep ability, VERY important for tanking Legendries and Hardmodes.)
Ent Buff: 3000 Armors, glancing blow, Crit Hit Reduction, 6% 2nd Chance

So we went over the Core Builds. This will get you about 50% of the way. The other 50% is on you understanding your role as a tank and how much you can handle. I'll List off some things you should be doing and getting used to and then it will be on you to go out and do your best. Don't be afraid to go out and tank either. Because you will never learn until you do it. As Yoda said "Do or Do not, there is no Try."

Key Skills to Practice:
-ALWAYS face bosses away from Group.
Many Bosses have AoE/Cone Attacks. So it's Vital in some cases to make sure the boss is facing away from the group as to not risk killing the group. very good to always uphold this, even if the boss doesn't do this, its just good practice.
-Rotate Saber Block and Reflects
ie: start with Reflect and and when reflect is 3 seconds from wearing off use saber block. And rotate the two so you always have something up. This will always give you a defensive ability up, thus keeping you from having a downtime and making yourself vulnerable to Damage.
-Use your Enrage for more than just pulling agro
Enrage works as a Hate generator. So, Using this ability constantly will help you hold agro on bosses. Some classes have a high spike damage which then innately spikes their targets hate. Being able to boost your Hate against the target will help keep the agro onto you and not swapping to your group members. Note, some bosses have an Agro Dump. So learning those fights you would not spam Enrage, instead holding it for when the agro dump happens and then using it to pull the boss back to you.
-Holding your Heal
Most Content on this server requires two medics, if not more. Most of the time you are the main tank you will have multiple Medics healing you. That means a lot of ampules, a lot of bombs, and a lot of sprays. that can come in at any moment. to make the best of your own heal. I try to hold my heal for when I drop to 30% or less health. Reason for that. If you were to use it sooner, sometimes the medic will hit you with one of their bigger heals and then your heal will only do a small portion of what it could have been. or their heal will do a small portion. This helps you and the Medic not waste a heal. with this though. there are Heal stims from the officer Supply drop. Make sure you have a large stack of these as you will spam these on cooldown. its a 3750 heal. And I usually will spam this as soon as it comes up just to help keep myself topped off. Some instances I have used over 100 heal Stims just because I was spamming them keeping myself healed. this helps your medic not panic as well with your health dropping quick.
-Grouping Mobs
It's your role as the tank to group up mobs. that means running around getting agro of them and then stacking them all on top of each other away from the group. (sometimes group members are dumb and want to stand in the middle of them and take all the AoE damage. tell them to step back if they don't need to be on the pile. ie: they are ranged standing in the pile). This all helps the medics since they only have to heal you. And also helps the group kill everything quickly as any AoE damage will hit everything instead of a few.

Wish you all the best of Luck... Sincerely your Milkman,
- Yek Zunno

Last edited: