What's new
SWG Beyond

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jump To Light Speed (an exhaustive guide)

Niko

“We choose to go to the moon and to do the other things. Not because they are easy but because they are hard”, John F Kennedy inaugural address, January 20th, 1961

Space is hard. Of course this a game and a balance must be maintained between “fun” and immersive but jump to light speed in its fundamentals is profoundly different from the ground game. Understanding how the system work within itself in many ways will determine a player’s level of success or frustration.

First, let me say that I have more time behind a joystick than I care to admit. I have dived deep into every aspect of JTL and have an in-depth understanding of the mechanics that might border on the obsessive. I have run nearly every quest on this server and have found that a large degree there are very few bugs. That is not to say that they do not exist but if one feels they have encountered one I recommend reviewing this guide first as the likelihood of finding an actual bug is pretty small.

Let’s get started.

Ship Choice

This is the first area where mistakes can be made. The intuition for a starting pilot is to change shops as they obtain certification upon completion of a quest or xp submission. Unless one has a deep love for a particular ship, or extensive experience with the varying performance of each chassis I strongly recommend avoiding this path. A pilot who is struggling with a mission might be able to overcome simply by changing their chassis.

Each ship has its own benefits and draw backs. For new or fledgling pilots I recommend getting a heavy starter for any faction being grinded. These ships are identical to the 11k mass starter ships but have a mass of 96k. Not only are these ships great to grind with but are some of the best pvp ships in game. A one time purchase of one of these ships will gain a pilot a ship they will use well after ace. The same cannot be said about other chassis.

Additionally, if one has a desire to grind other aces in the same faction, the heavy starter can be loaded with ace level parts prior to resigning a squadron and then can be used at tier 0 when starting the next with the ace load out. This makes completing the ace of aces collection much less time consuming.

Typing this on my phone. Long work in progress. Will add a little at a time.