What's new
SWG Beyond

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Staff Spotlight - Muh'tar

Brosa1

muhtarSS.png

Today we have a very special Staff Spotlight that we would like to share with you!
Although he is very busy staring at code on a screen most of the time, we managed to pull him away long enough to answer a few questions…

When did you start playing SWG?

I started playing SWG on the Flurry server on day one of launch.

What is your favorite SWG memory?

Even though I have had so many great memories on all the SWG servers that I have played on, the most memorable experiences that come to mind, are from the live Flurry server.
The first memory that really jumps out, is unlocking jedi (pre-cu) and becoming a full template Jedi. It was so, so, SO much grinding but when it was finally over, it felt like such an amazing accomplishment.
Another memory that is right up there with unlocking Jedi, was during the NGE when i started my own guild. I have so many great memories and stories about late nights PvPing and laughing on Ventrilo with my guild mates. It's amazing to be able to call those same guild mates, my friends, over 15 years later.

Why did you want to start your own SWG Server?

Before starting Beyond, I played on about every SWG server that came out after the live server shut down. Most were unreliable and/or had staff that would use their position to their advantage. I didn’t appreciate how most servers were being hosted and really missed the days of the live server when new content would be implemented on a consistent basis.
I started Beyond to have a stable server, with honest and reliable staff, that provides new and unique content for the community. I wanted to have a server that pushes the game Beyond where it was when it shut down. I wanted to have a game that kept the same charm as the live server but continued the legacy of the original game, rather than just become a stale, stagnant carbon copy.

What is your role on the Beyond team?

My intention when Beyond launched was to spend a majority of my time on development, but unfortunately due to the circumstances of the past, it hasn’t worked out that way. On a normal day, I spend a bulk of my time on server and community related issues/needs and then spend any time that I have remaining on development. Recently, we have made some staff changes/additions that I'm really excited about and going forward those changes will allow me to spend the majority of my time focusing on what I'm passionate about, Development.
I will still be a part of the project admin decisions and runnings but I’m excited to see what limits I can push and what content that I can create now that I will be able to freely focus on the server's development. Exciting times are ahead!

What do you find most challenging about running the SWG Beyond server?

Honestly, the most difficult part about running the server is getting the balance right between development/project admin and playing and enjoying the game with the community. I really do love this game and it kills me to not be able to just jump in when there's a free spot in a group or have the time to fully gear up all of my characters. But on the other side of that, the love of the game is what pushes me to develop and create new and unique content. It really is a struggle to get that balance right and I can’t say that i’ve managed to get it perfect yet, but hopefully, someday, I will get there.

What do you find you enjoy the most about running Beyond?

The Community.

Seeing people log into the game, enjoying the content that we have created is what makes me happy. The absolute best is when a community member has a suggestion, the staff votes on that suggestion, it gets approved, we make it happen, and it gets pushed to the server. Even if it's not all positive feedback, I also want constructive criticism. I just really enjoy including and getting the community involved in the process. I think it’s so important for them to enjoy the game that they are playing and have a part in it, rather than just be told what they will receive as content.

Where do you see the server heading in the next 6 months ?

In the last couple of months we have focused on recruitment and we still need to continue that momentum. More updates, QoL additions, improve and expand on not only the content that is already in game but also expand and make improvements to the mechanics of the game. We are looking to grow the staff and have lots of new, unique content in the works. I am really excited to see the community's response to it all and can’t wait to share lots of exciting updates.

What do you think makes Beyond different from other NGE EMU’s ?

I think there is quite a bit that sets us apart from other servers but the main difference between Beyond and other servers is our vision and our open minded approach.
We are not scared to make new and unique content and push the limits beyond the boundaries of where the original content ended. We encourage all of our staff to play and engage with the community. We do not compare Beyond with other servers or try to compete with anyone because we want to do what is right on our server, for our community and for our players.
As far as our unique content is concerned; We have a new profession, a new legendary heroic and vendor with unique items, a group finder system, an updated RLS system, updated spice system, an Entertainer system and vendor, a new PvP battlefield, updated PvP battlefields, PvP arenas that allows for 1vs1 and 2vs2 pvp battles, GCW commendations (new PvP currency) and vendor, The Battle for Theed Palace which is a PvP scenario that can be turned on and off, Mustar instance token system and vendor, scrolls of knowledge that unlock heroics without having to do the prequests, tons of TCG items and items we created that are unique to our server…. That’s just to name a few and I don't want to be here all night haha!
I think the main takeaway of what makes us unique is we really focus on what is best for our community, our players and our server. It really is a group effort and I am grateful to everyone who has made Beyond what it is today and what it will become tomorrow.

Whether its coding, activations, or assisting players. Staying up until 3 or 4am to get some PvP in, and then do a heroic run after. We don’t know where you find the time and we want you know, none of your hard work goes unnoticed. On behalf of all the members of Beyond we would like to thank you! We all know that none of this would be possible without you, and you are so appreciated.
Keep up the great work! We are Beyond excited to see what the next big update you have in store for us.

Smokey

" I have so many great memories and stories about late nights PvPing and laughing on Ventrilo with my guild mates. It's amazing to be able to call those same guild mates, my friends, over 15 years later."

I would have got less for murder...

Esquire

We have a lot of the same history and memories with SWG live. Your reasons for starting Beyond is why I did the same with a EMU powered server that I ran for about 2 years. However, your development experience is far beyond mine just looking at what you have accomplished.

Wanted to say a "thank you" for taking on the LS PVP issues and making the attempt. Very much looking forward to testing these changes. Your continued development is why I'm trying this server and regrinding all these toons.

Thanks for all you do and this comes from some1 who's been a little bit in your position trying to schedule real life with server ownership.