What's new
SWG Beyond

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on the Acquisition of Lyase

Niko

I think we can all agree that Lyase are the bottle neck for BMs. Not so much in attaining them but in finding the capped +11 Lyase.

But 11s are rare! They should be hard to obtain!!!

Of course. Stay with me.

Anyone who follows anything I have discussed or debated on legends knows that I am not a fan of sudden, drastic and sweeping changes. It is exactly for that reason that I play far more here than I do there anymore. Seems like everytime I log on the devs there are tinkering with crap that doesn't need to be and are progressively ruining that server but I digress...

Here is my thought on this topic. On live, when first implemented, the /forage option had minimal requirements. During about a six month period the devs went through a phase where they were trying to eliminate AFK play (not unlike Legends). During this time, the /autoattack macro feature was dropped among other commands and areas of play. They actually implemented a macro dump pulse in certain areas as well (in the same way Legends did) but quickly determined it caused more problems than it solved and they eradicated it.

At the same time, they also required the /forage command to be limited to once in a radius. This forced people to stop AFK'ing for about an hour until they figured out a work around.

So here is my proposal. In the interest of making small changes that require minimal dev time and can be changed back quickly if they are found to be counter productive, I suggest eliminating the movement requirement for /forage. Don't fiddle with the loot tables, don't change the frequency of drops or eliminate the junk. Leave everything as much the same as possible. This one small change should be quick and easy to do and more importantly, equally easy to undo if it is found to be a problem.

To follow up and expand a bit, currently, no one forages at the keys. At least not for any significant length of time. Of all actions in game is by far the most mundane and repetitive even when compared to the elusive 4/5 sith wp grind. Currently the only way to AFK this is to /dance or /prone across the land scape. While navigating hills and other obstacles, it is more than likely that at some point the character will become entrenched and make little to no progress. Consequently, the return is minimal. In more than 16 hours of grinding, I have obtained two +11 enzymes.

For those who don't know I will clarify the exasperation with this return.

Just getting the +11 is only a small step from a long way away. Even a top line outfitted engineer still only has about a 10-15% to get a mutation even after obtaining all the other top line materials. To put that in perspective, imagine having to walk 1500 meters across Lok digging in the ground constantly to force a DWB Wraith to spawn. Then hoping you might get a liquid to drop and then if you do..... having a 10% of successfully making a piece of mandalorian armor with it.

I strongly suspect that eliminating the movement requirement will open the bottle neck enough to let a consistent flow through but not so much that everything (or anything) will need to be reworked. The symbiosis will still be in place and nothing will be easier or harder. It will literally be the difference between drinking from a faucet that drips or drinking from one that runs at a trickle.

/discuss

ATU

Not sure this will help a lot.

Sure not having to move across Lok would have a small benefit, but at this time the planet is pretty empty so that would only probably stop those pesky rocks from blocking you. and hence stop the flow of Lyase.

If the game gets popular and town's start showing up then yeah there will be more to potentially block you, really this would only stop you running into wild Kimogilas or the like.

If this was added then a forage timer would also need to be added, the proximity check currently adds an artificial timer on foraging so without that need an actual one would be needed otherwise you could just constantly spam forage which is probably not what was intended.

Personally I would prefer some kind of lyase combination tool, something akin to Shipwright REing parts. Put 5 lyase of the same color into a new tool add if deemed necessary a consumable "Lyase ReCombination Tray" or something where the quality is 3 to 2 depending on resources used (just don't make it take 1000 steel 1000 iron - 2000 wood etc) this adds up the combined power of the 5 lyase and divides the score by the tray so the better the quality of the resources used the better the divider say the combined lyase score is 25 and a 100% tray is used this divides out to 25/2 = 12 rounded down 11 is cap so you get an 11 lyase for the color you put in if you used crappy resources you get 25/3 = 8 rounded down so you get an 8 lyase out for the color you used.

This would stop the need for deleting lyase deemed unworthy and avoid 16 hour sessions for only two lyase.

That's my idea anyway

good for discussion though.

Niko

Its not a bad idea and one I would likely support. However, you touched on the point with your first line (albeit accidentally)...

"this won't help a lot"...

That's precisely the point. It's not supposed to help a lot. It actually would likely help very little even if ppl did just stand in one place and /forage continuously. After 24 hours, it's likely to still only pull maybe 2 to 5 at most.

While your idea has valid points and is certainly worth exploring, it also takes programming time and testing and working through possible bugs. Turning off the radius restriction could be done in the next patch. As mentioned, if it seems to be not helping or helping too much, it could just as easily be turned back on as well.

While it might be the best option to end with it is the smallest step in the right direction which I am always in favor of.

Omatche

Thats a nice idea ATU and i do kind of like the concept of it. I do foresee that being a huge chunk of time and work to bring that to a live server though.
I am more inclined to vote on Niko's idea and make it like what hand sampling resources is now. Sure give it a nice cool down so it's not able to be exploited out the ringer but taking away the need for the command to require movement would only benefit the BM's and the server as a whole by boosting the market of usable Lyase.